6/05/2013

^ DILLON MARSH - ASSIMILATION ^











In the vast barren landscapes of the southern Kalahari, Sociable Weaver Birds assume ownership of the telephone poles that cut across their habitat.Their burgeoning nests are at once inertly statuesque and teeming with life. The twigs and grass collected to build these nests combine to give strangely recognisable personalities to the otherwise inanimate poles.


In 2003 I graduated from the University of Stellenbosch with a Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Art. During the course of my studies I was drawn to photography and I have remained passionate about it ever since.
Over the years I have also developed a love for travel and this has led to a natural set of photographic series documenting the various places that I have visited.
My main focus as an artist in recent times, however, has been directed towards my landscape series. In these series I seek to find things that are out of the ordinary, picking them out of the landscape where they might otherwise blend in. I choose objects that can be found in multitude within their environment so that I can depict a family of objects in a series of photographs. By displaying each project as such, I feel I am able to show both the character of the individual members, and the characteristics that make these objects a family.


No comments:

Post a Comment